Thread: Upgrade to 7.10 . . . Howzitgoing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Upgrade to 7.10 . . . Howzitgoing?

How has everyone's upgrade experience gone? After several tries,my upgrade kept freezing at one point, so I did some checking on the forums. Well, like several things Ubuntu so far; I switched a server here, another check box there, and BAM the upgrade proceeded as advertised. 22 minutes left. . . sweet!! Off I go around the house doing laundry and keeping one eye on the computer screen and clicking on the occasional OK button. About 3/4 of the way thru I realize that I didn't back up my system - OOOPS!! Too late now, the upgrader is currently rearranging the intestines of my computer. Gotta forge ahead. .

Well, luckily everything worked out well, the reboot was successful and the machine is working perfectly. Yeah, me!! (Disney Channel)

I'm digging the Comp-Fusion screen. I've finally found a use for the Windows keys on my computer. . . I've set them up to rotate the workspace cube!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Upgrade to 7.10 . . . Howzitgoing?

upgrade to 7.10 was successfull, even one day before official release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by klhoard View Post
    22 minutes left. . . sweet!!

really?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Download was at 20 kbps. When it finished, the install program had a critical failure when it filled up /boot. Fixed by expanding to 3x the space, but Ubuntu would no longer boot under any grub setting, as it stopped at a BusyBox prompt. Feisty reinstalled from disk, then performed a Gutsy upgrade after ensuring /home was secure. Gutsy upgrade finally worked. Only problem after the upgrade was the xorg.conf in Gutsy. I finally found the right settings in displayconfig-gtk (Screen and Graphics tool), by trial and error. I had to select generic monitors and select a specific resolution for the monitors that didn't cause scrolling. Compiz Fusion seems to now be unhappy on two monitors, but, at least, I see some bugs open on the issue.

I am happy with the direction Gutsy went in this newest release, but there are a few things that could have been improved. Checking for sufficient space in /boot would have saved me a re-install, and better auto-detection in the new X configuration tool would have been great. I will be helping to get these issues raised to the right people, once the excitement wanes from the big upgrade.

Many websites are recommending envy, automatix, and other unsupported methods of working around these problems. I am concerned there will be many users who choose to follow these paths instead of patiently waiting for the Ubuntu team to find a supported solution. It may have been better for those people to stay with Feisty, rather than introduce a slew of new problems for themselves and people in the #ubuntu support channels.
    Last edited by matthewcraig; October 23rd, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by NonaWeisbaum View Post
    really?
    Couldn't take XP anymore on my laptop, so I took my 7.04 disk with me on a trip to install U. Currently upgrading to 7.10 in the hotel room - 8 HOURS to go. Ugh!! Must be the DSL. . . didn't know how good I have it at home!!