Thread: dell perc 5/i - megaraid storage manager

Hybrid View

Beans

dell perc 5/i - megaraid storage manager

Has anyone managed to install megaraid storage manager (it's a monitoring tool from lsi logic for their raid controllers) to ubuntu(any version)?

I have a dell perc 5/i (ubuntu 8.04) and I'm trying to install MegaCli and MegaRaid Storage Manager. MegaCli comes with rpm format, which I converted to deb using alien and installed successfully.

Now I'm trying to install MegaRaid Storage Manager which comes in a tar.gz. It contains a bunch of scripts and a bunch of rpms. Here is a ls :
    deleteOldVersion.sh readme.txt
    install.sh RunRPM.sh
    libstdc++34-3.4.0-1.i386.rpm sas_ir_snmp-3.13-0005.i386.rpm
    LSI-AdapterSASIR.mib sas_snmp-3.13-0004.i386.rpm
    LSI-AdapterSAS.mib ServerInstall.sh
    MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-2.35-01.noarch.rpm

I converted MegaRAID_Storage_Manager-2.35-01.noarch.rpm, sas_ir_snmp-3.13-0005.i386.rpm, sas_snmp-3.13-0004.i386.rpm successfully using alien, but I can't convert libstdc++34-3.4.0-1.i386.rpm successfully.
    Any ideas??

Beans

Re: dell perc 5/i - megaraid storage manager

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Sorry I cant help with this, however maybe you can help me.. I am purchasing a handful of Dell 2950 series servers. They come with the perc 5/i or perc 6/i raid controller. After searching around the forums I have found a few instances of people saying they had a bit of trouble getting things working out of the box(this is ubuntu 6.06)

reference:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226114
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=226114&page=3

granted this was for a older version of ubuntu, and I will be installing 8.04 on these servers.. can you shed a bit more light on your current experience?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

btw.. libstdc is in the repositories.. if you install via apt-get/synaptic you should be able to point mega raid in the right direction during compilation

$ aptitude search stdc
    p lib64stdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (64bit)
    p lib64stdc++6-4.1-dbg - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (debugging files)
    p lib64stdc++6-4.2-dbg - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (debugging files)
    v libstdc++-dev -
    i libstdc++5 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    p libstdc++5-3.3-dbg - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (debugging files)
    p libstdc++5-3.3-dev - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
    p libstdc++5-3.3-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)
    p libstdc++5-3.3-pic - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (shared library subset kit)
    i libstdc++6 - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3
    p libstdc++6-4.1-dbg - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (debugging files)
    p libstdc++6-4.1-dev - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
    p libstdc++6-4.1-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)
    p libstdc++6-4.1-pic - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (shared library subset kit)
    p libstdc++6-4.2-dbg - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (debugging files)
    i A libstdc++6-4.2-dev - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
    p libstdc++6-4.2-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)
    p libstdc++6-4.2-pic - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (shared library subset kit)
    p libstdc++6-dbg - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (debugging files)
    p libstdc++6-dev - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (development files)
    p libstdc++6-doc - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (documentation files)
    p libstdc++6-pic - The GNU Standard C++ Library v3 (shared library subset kit)

Beans

Yes of course I can help you..
    Basically I don't have a dell server(2950 etc). I only have dell perc 5/i integrated controller. I purchased it so I can build my own nas server. I installed 8.04 server edition on my box. The card is properly recognized out of the box by the operating system(ubuntu), with the megaraid driver.

The problem is that I want to find a way to monitor the card, so I can do further operations(check consistency, patrol read, rebuild array, etc..). There are 4 options I found so far for monitoring the card, which are :

1)MegaCli : Command-line utility provided by Lsi Logic. I managed to convert the rpm that Lsi provides from their website to deb using alien and installed it successfully. However I didn't manage to make MegaCli see my card. I'm working on that..

2)MegaRAID Storage Manager: Application with gui provided by Lsi Logic. I didn't manage to install this succefully on ubuntu 8.04

3)Omsa: Monitoring tools from Dell for their servers. I installed these from some instructions I found on linux.dell.com, but it didn't helped me much

4)Megactl: Is an open source project for lsi's cards, similar to MegaCli, but with fewer options. I installed this successfully and I made it recognize my card. It works so far

But because I don't feel that comfortable with megactl(which the only I managed to work properly), I installed winxp on another partition just for the monitoring tools(MegaRAID Storage Manager)

Hope that helps

I installed both libstdc++6 and 5, but it didn't help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi
    I'm looking into buying a Dell Perc 5/i controller for nas, and I was wondering if the controller supports spindown (and maybe staggered spindown?), where the raid is powered off when inactive? I see, you have trouble controlling the controller from the OS - However I assume that BIOS setup is still possible with the unit?! Thanks in advance.