Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Good

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

No Good

G'Day; Guys; Well Installed Ubuntu on it's own partition, with W& on another, no good, could only boot into Ubuntu, W7 and all other files were accessible fron Ubuntu but no boot loader to boot into W7, tried to repair with Windows disc and command prompt but could not find any other drives, in the end had to use the Ubuntu disk to delete the Ubuntu partition then reinstall W& onto it's original partition, before I deleted the Ubuntu partition Windows could not find the other drives when I tried to install it, got to where you select the drive where you want to instal and there was nothing there, so I could nnot select a drive to intall onto.
    I still have the unallocated space where I want to instal Ubuntu so does anyone have any suggestions as to how,.
    I thought Ubuntu had its own boot loader, grub, to allow you to duel boot.
    Any guidence would be greatly appreciated
    Kind Regards Miykel.
    The Distro is 10.10 btw.
    Last edited by howefield; March 24th, 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: remove font formatting

Beans

Re: No Good

It's always best to install Windows first and Ubuntu second.

BTW, that's not the easiest font to read. How about just sticking with the default?

Beans

Here are some useful hints, althought I don't have the time to fix your system, sorry:

1/ Windows can never see Linux partitions, don't ask me why

2/ gParted is your friend

Wish I could help more, but as was said - start with a blank drive, install windows FIRST, and then Ubuntu last, using the default settings it suggests (the latter part about partitioning is, in my experience, the best way to go for the inexperienced, if that does not sound too patronising )

CC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

G'Day and thanks for the replies;
    Please forgive me for being slow to answer, major drama with Bigpond.
    Sorry about the fonts, I'll use the default in future.
    I have W7 installed first then Ubuntu, but no grub, I have no idea why I had no grub menu, it just booted into ubuntu without any options, any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Kind Regards Miykel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

oPlease let me emphasize what has heen said. Windows WILL overwrite the grub (Unundtu) boot loader. You MUST install Windows first! Then Unbunu's GRUB will pick up the other systems on the harddrive, like Windows!
    // Don
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Toshiba P755-S5390 / Core I7 / 8 gigs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

G'Day guys; As I said, I already had W7 installed then installed Ubuntu but when it was installed I had no grub or windows boot loader, the PC would only boot into Ubuntu with no options. To reclaim my PC I had to reinstall W7 but I still want to install Ubuntu onto the allocated partition, which is on a seperate HDD, btw. I must have done something wrong when I installed Ubuntu, if I had done it correctly I would have had grub bootloader and thats what I'm asking about, why no Grub when Ubuntu was installed, I dont remember if there is an option during the install to select grub, if there is then I missed it, What I'm basicly seeking suggestions about is no grub.
    Kind Regards Miykel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Oh, so you have Ubuntu on a separate hard drive? Well then the problem should be in the hard drive settings...master/slave and all that. Someone will surely chime in here on how exactly to do that, but when you have them on separate hard drives and it's not booting the way you want it, you likely have to switch those settings around as to which hard drive it sees first.

Beans

When installing Ubuntu, try selecting manual partitioning and you'll get the option of choosing where grub is installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

G'day and many thanks;
    I went through the manual menu to delete and format the partition for ubuntu but is there another option where grub is installed??, Grub is my major drama as it didn't install at all last time.
    Kind regards Miykel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't recall seeing any Grub options during the installer. What you should do is edit your Grub configuration.

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Then in that file, look for a GRUB_TIMEOUT. If it's 0, that would explain why your machine is booting straight into Ubuntu. After you change the timeout, you need to run

sudo update grub

There's also a GUI way - from Synaptic, get 'startupmanager' and you should be able to change the options there. You can also change the default OS as displayed in Grub. If you don't see Windows 7 there, then you have another problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast